Monday, October 13, 2014

Chipping Away...

After analyzing the FAs from Friday, I have found a couple of errors that we are making: One, we are still making mistakes with our integers. I may need to revisit some websites for games the students can play to refresh this concept. Second, we are still uncomfortable with fractions in the equations. This may also require additional review, but I would prefer to find some games they could play as oppose to worksheets. I will see what I find.

On a separate note, I am frustrated with a few students' effort already in this unit. They are very quick to "give up" when they stumble on an equation or expression. I have met with these students during group work, but I do not know if it is making any difference. I will continue to chip away at the wall they are putting up. Hopefully, I get them to break through it before it gets too high.

The 6th and 7th grades both were introduced to solving linear equations today. We also reviewed simplifying expressions with like terms. We seem to be getting these concepts. The FAs tomorrow in class will give me a better indication of how much we are understanding.

I need to remember that not all of my students share my enthusiasm for algebra. I am hopeful, however, that it will be contagious soon.

No comments: