Tuesday, June 24, 2014

My First 100 Days Plan

MY FIRST 100 DAYS PLAN

I have spent a great deal of time contemplating how I would treat my first 100 days as a new administrator. I decided the best to organize my thoughts was to create an outline of my goals. This would serve as a blueprint of what I would like to achieve during the first half of the year. With that being said, I recognize that a good administrator is flexible and that plans can always be revised and edited as needed. The following are simply guidelines that I would like to implement.

Goal 1: I want to view our district from a multitude of angles. I want to spend time talking to central administration, board members, faculty, staff, parents and students to better understand how they perceive our district and my school in particular.

Goal 2: I want to discuss the question: What are our biggest opportunities and challenges? As I attempt to answer this question, I will survey all of the above mentioned people in order to collect data to understand the challenges and opportunities that face our school and district. In order to be an effective administrator, I know it is imperative to have a comprehensive understanding of these situations.

Goal 3: I want to answer the question: What’s missing from this picture? I have an interest in using social media to market my school. I would like to create a Facebook page, a Twitter account and YouTube videos to help tell my school’s story.   

Goal 4: I want to spend some time figuring out what my staff expects from me and my office. This would be through conversations with my colleagues and surveys that I send to them. This would help me know my staff’s biggest concerns so that I can search for ways to effectively address them.

Goal 5: I want to start building a team of “A” players. I want to create a group of Teacher Leaders that I can rely on to help push district and/or school initiatives. I am also a firm believer that part of a leader’s job is help foster more leaders. I would love to start or continue a teacher mentor program, where strong teachers are helping to instill positive and effective teaching styles to novice teachers.

Goal 6: I want to try and go for some “quick” wins. I already know I would like to help tell my school’s story by using social media. I want to use these avenues to show all the positive things that are going on in my school. I want the public to see how great my staff is. I firmly believe that social media is a tremendous way to do this.

Goal 7: I want to “Walk the Talk”. It is important to me that my staff see me in the halls, interacting with students. I will make it a priority to regularly visit classrooms, using this time to make my presence known to students and teachers. I will gladly assist teachers in reading circles,  science labs, or any other other classroom activities they invite me to join. I do not want the only time I enter their rooms to be when I am doing an observation.

Goal 8:  I believe I am at my best when I take care of myself mentally, physically and spiritually. This is why I want to remain involved in my own kids’ lives. I am very involved with my children’s after school activities and help assistant coach their soccer, basketball and baseball teams. I have been doing this for several years, and it is something I thoroughly enjoy being a part of. I believe that by establishing a work/life balance, I will be a better administrator, father and husband.

I have been formulating these goals for the last few weeks and I am certain that I will continue to revise and edit them periodically. I believe using these goals as a personal “checklist” will greatly assist me during my First 100 Days as I strive to help make my school the best it can be.


1 comment:

Sherrie said...

Congrats on your new job Jim. #7 will be the hardest to follow through on. In my 23 yrs of teaching and a zillion different admins only one was able to achieve #7. As a teacher it drives me crazy how little time admins spend in teachers classroom. I don't know how an admin can feel they have a pulse on the school when they never visit classrooms other than for observations. Getting off my soapbox. Just want to strongly encourage you to have a plan for #7 because it will be the easiest to fall by the wayside.