That's it. I am jumping into the deep end of the pool. After some reflection, discussion with colleagues and enough reading about the subject to make my eyes sore, I am turning my classroom into a student-driven classroom after break. Here are my changes:
* I am going to conference with each student individually every week and a half to two weeks. At this time, students will need to demonstrate their understanding of the standards we have covered.
* Conferencing will allow me to really determine if the student understands what they are working on. They will be assessed based on how well they demonstrate that knowledge.
* I will distribute I Can Statements for each chapter. This is so the students know exactly what they are expected to know for the conference.
* I will still allow redoes/retakes, but they must RE-CONFERENCE for this to happen.
* I am hoping the conferences are a preparation for real life: either a job interview, college interview or presentation at work.
* I am wondering how my students who "play school well" will handle this change. Hopefully, they adjust quickly to this new procedure.
* I am hoping by doing this, I will no longer be the hardest working person in the room.
*Many thanks to @mssackstein @barrykid1 @WHSrowe @jsprfox for your constant feedback and support. I know I ask a lot of questions. Thank you for your patience and time.
I hate when I do this...now I am looking forward to January...and we have not yet left for break.